The Kubrick Chronicles: Foreword


If you're even somewhat familiar with movies in any way, you should have heard of or at least seen a Stanley Kubrick film. To call him an auteur whose films have left an immeasurable impact on the art-form and pop culture at large is an understatement. His eccentricities are exemplified in his works in a way that leaves him among cinema's greatest idiosyncratic storytellers. To hear his admirers talk would have you listen to some of today's greatest filmmakers themselves. His seemingly hypnotic power over studios gave him unprecedented creative freedom in commercially charged and financed movies. The methodology he used in working with actors extracted the precise performance he looked to display on the silver screen. In short, he was a master at his craft.

I've decided to start a new recurring blog segment where I chronologically take a look at the director's filmography in a way that individually examines the films but also attempts to find strands throughout his career that have woven his quilt of influence. I will detail the history/production, the film's plot and any themes it may encompass, and the influence that they may have had on other artists' work. Although I have seen the majority of Kubrick's films, there are a handful I have yet to see, which allows me to experience them with a fresh perspective. Some will probably be more in depth than others, as certain pieces are among my favorite films of all time.

I apologize in advance that these posts may not be written and posted as often as I like. Please be patient and  ready to look at these films and the director himself in a light you may have neglected before. For Kubrick diehards, let this serve as a a new perspective that may coincide or contrast with your own. For the uninitiated, I suggest watching the movie I'm discussing before so I don't spoil it, also allowing you to create your own observations. To be clear, I'm not attempting to showcase the "objective" way to enjoy or study his films. Rather, I'm trying to add a new opinion or interpretation that shows respect to both the director and the audience.

First Up: Killer's Kiss


I leave you know with the introduction to a good documentary Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures. This pretty much says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment