Films of 2011: A Second Opinion (Updated)

 In Mezzo Culture's Choice of Lists, we mean not specifically the best of lists or our favorites of list.  It is much more a hybrid of both, we combine those we generally loved and those we marveled at it's quality.  We do this for all our lists, comment below with your own.

by Kyle Huffman

I highly respect our other gentleman's opinion regarding the films of 2011. He's right, the glut of sequels and general lack of quality killed this year. The great, or even good, films of this year were that much more evident. Honestly, I've been waiting for next year's batch more than I have this year's garbage. But, here we are...


10. X-Men: First Class
I loved the feel and characters of this summer flick, barely redeeming Fox for X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Fassbender and McAvoy have great chemistry together, giving believability to truly unbelievably powerful characters. How ironic is it that the same director of Kick Ass, the ultimate superhero deconstruction film, is now taking his crack at one of the genre's biggest franchises. And to good effect too.

9. The Descendants
Although this one wasn't particularly surprising, if you're aware of Alexander Payne's earlier works. But if you're a fan of them, like me, than it's a welcome return. The Hawaiian scenery is gorgeous, which is in high contrast with the events that transpire on the screen. I also learned a few things about the Aloha State, which is never a bad thing. George Clooney gives an Oscar worthy performance as an emotionally cold character who has a mid-life awakening. Sure, might not sound very fresh, but it's definitely worth watching.

8. The Ides of March
Clooney again proves himself as a true Micheal Jordan of filmmaking, achieving multiple roles simultaneously to great effect. Ryan Gosling also continues to build his resume as one of the hottest actors around, and I'm not referring to his looks. For political junkies, like myself, this is a must-see. It's probably the best cast I've seen all year, with Gosling, Clooney, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, and Marisa Tomei all giving quality work. However, this film will not give you a positive view of campaign politics (if you even had any). But rarely do the great political films do.

7. Hugo
If Martin Scorsese makes a movie, it is an essential part of any top film list I do. My favorite director is triumphant again with his latest work, which succeeds as a fantasy film that appeals to smarter children of cinephiles. Although this film hardly made any money, it's the pinnacle of 3D technology that actually made me hopeful about the power of film, both as artistic and entertaining mediums. For a director who's frequently pigeon-holed as making only "gangster movies", he proves, as he has frequently throughout his career, that there's a whole lot more to him than that.

6. J. Edgar
One of my all time favorite personalities, Clint Eastwood, teams up with Leonardo DiCaprio, my favorite current actor making reasonably good work (sorry De Niro) to spectacular effect in a biopic on the infamous FBI director. A lot was talked about how the rumors of him as a closeted gay man would be executed. Perfectly, in my opinion, as it was an pivotal, but not the basis for a conversation about so many other important things he did. Also, the cinematography is Oscar worthy.

5. Contagion
Remember this one? I sure did. Soderbergh, master of the hyperlink film, returns with his take on a potential virus that can kill people with an unstoppable will. Great ensemble cast anchored by the great Matt Damon. This film moved at a great pace, never leaving me space to think about what would, or could, happen next. Also, it was one of the scariest films I've seen in a while, with the situation being more grounded and terrifying than anything a Stephen King could dream up.

4. Crazy. Stupid. Love.
Anyone who knows me would be shocked that I admitted to liking a romantic comedy. One of the most recycled and useless genres in modern movies, the romantic comedy makes me mad at just thinking about it. Thankfully, this one came along to redeem the genre, for me, in way that leaves me wanting more. Steve Carell and Ryan Gosling make a great pair that both have things to learn and unlearn from one another. The supporting cast is also very good. This was one of the few movies I saw that this year that made me feel good, both about life and general and the industry.


3. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
David Fincher made my favorite film of last year and came oh so close to repeating that mark. The atmosphere and tone of this one stayed under my skin for days, effectively implementing the haunting, eerie score from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. I haven't read the heavily loved books or seen the acclaimed Swedish adaptations, but I was very much a fan of the story Steve Zaillian, the screenwriter, and Fincher decided to tell. Sure, the violence is graphic and unsetteling, but it's done very tastefully and with great care. Rooney Mara is a pure revelation as Lisbeth Salander. I'm eagerly anticipating Fincher helm the sequels.

2. The Adventures of Tintin
I wasn't expecting a lot from this one. With the recent onslaught of 3D motion capture films, most direct results from Robert Zemeckis, I didn't see this one delivering much, despite the talent involved. I should have known better. With some of Britain's hottest writers (Joe Cornish, Edgar Wright, Steven Moffat) penning an adaption of a huge, worldwide comic book character like Tintin and the producing talents of Peter Jackson, it was impossible that this movie wouldn't be a creative success. Oh, and that one director...ah yes, Steven Spielberg may have lent his talents considerably to the project as well.

1. Drive
Not since No Country for Old Men have I seen a film in the theater that demanded my attention with such poise and grace. Gosling's Man with No Name of the 21st Century is mythic and stoic in it's own right. The score is fantastic, the direction stands as the year's best....what more can I say? How often do we see a film as bad ass and thought provoking? For a film so quiet and reflective, it certainly was among the loudest and demanding movies of the year.

(Cue The Al Pacino Monologue) Movie that Made Me The Angriest
The Green Hornet

Tommy Wisseau Award for "So Bad, It's Fun"
Drive Angry (Shot in 3D)

"Heaven's Gate" Award for Biggest Dissapointment
Cowboys vs. Aliens

Micheal Bay Award for Brain Reducing Popcorn Garbage
Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon

Special Achievement Award
The Harry Potter Franchise

Good,  But Overrated Movie of the Year
The Help

The "Eh, Stella..." award for Male Actor
George Clooney in The Descendants

The Hepburn award for Female Actor
Rooney Mara in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Welles made film award for Best Director
Steven Spielberg for The Adventures of Tintin

Notable Movies I Failed to See This Year (Probably Would Be In My Top 10)
The Artist
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Carnage
A Dangerous Method
The Tree of Life

No comments:

Post a Comment