KFC: A Comic Book Manifesto (Introduction)





Kyle's Funnybook Corner (KFC) is a new regular blog section that will cover comic books and the subsequent entertainment inspired by them. All geeks (this isn't an insult, as I am one as well) who are as mild-mannered as Clark Kent, clever as Reed Richards, or as flexible with their opinion as Plastic Man is with his buttocks, are welcome.

My love and passion for comic books rivals film as art form that both I appreciate dearly as source of escapism and self-truth. Even though the popularity and reverence for the medium reaches all time highs, it is still typically seen as childish, crude, and un-dynamic. I challenge all of these sentiments as misleading and broad. Sure, comics main audience always have been kids or teenagers. But the sophistication and scope of its storytelling and art has kept it accessible for all ages.



America's modern mythology isn't based off kings or gods, but by the idea of the superhero. Comic books continue to expand this mythology with a depth and pace that rivals anything a Greek philosopher could have interpreted. These characters inspire and frighten, conquer and emancipate, deceive and teach. There are plenty of comic books that tell worthwhile stories without the inclusion of superheroes or fantastic situations. But the stories that typically speak to me, both in terms of excitement and intellect, are ones that involve super-heroic archetypes that we all aspire to and fear.

On a less serious note, as a loyal fan of the medium, I take opinions and viewpoints of characters, stories, and company favorites very seriously. Between the big two companies, I've always preferred DC myself but have great respect for the Marvel line of characters and creators. You can't have one without the number, at least in my opinion. On my opinions of heroes, Superman will always be the best, Batman will always be my favorite, and Spiderman will always be the most relatable. I'm sure you're saying to yourself: "Yeah, this guy's REAL original, signaling out the three biggest heroes as his favorites". Well, the truth is, this trinity of untouchables ARE the best because they continue to endure in the public consciousness decades after their initial creations.

I just wanted to use this initial post to introduce myself in the context of a comic book fan. I hope to publish periodic reviews of first run issues that I'm following and give reviews of older graphic novels/arcs that remain memorable, influential, or interesting to me. I'll also probably look at writers/artists, characters, and entertainment related to comic books/superheroes. In the mean-time...


No comments:

Post a Comment