KFC: The 30 Day Batman Challenge-Day 7


Today's entry to the 30 Day Batman Challenge is...favorite Batman quote?

Although Batman isn't the gabbiest of superheroes, he's had a history of great and memorable quotes. "I'm Batman" is pretty self explanatory and has been used in nearly every incarnation of the character. This was hard to come up with but I kept coming back to the ending of the 2008 blockbuster epic The Dark Knight.


"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. I can do those things. Because I'm not a hero, not like Dent. I killed those people. That's what I can be. (Gordon disagrees.) I'm whatever Gotham needs me to be. You'll hunt me. You'll condemn me. Set the dogs on me. Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes the truth isn't good enough. Sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded."

Many would say that honesty is the most important thing in our world. In the information age, truth's elusiveness demands of people even more honesty and sincerity. Here's a clear example of why Batman breaks away from this trend. He understands that the good Dent undone could end up destroying the city in ways the Joker couldn't have even dreamed up. It just showed you what a true artist Nolan is: making a duplicitous and dishonest act as noble and heroic as this.

But even more than all that is Batman's selfishness and humility to his crusade. He's willing to become the devil, the boogie man, and pay for the injustices that Dent did. Batman doesn't need to be the hero. He can be whatever the city needs him to be. This act showcases Wayne's commitment to his mission and the city itself. No matter what, he makes sure that it remains protected.

Tomorrow: Favorite Robin?

No comments:

Post a Comment