"Breaking Dawn" Review

This is a bit late of a review, but studios have been jamming every possible film they have in this last quarter of the year.  Pardon for the lateness, but enjoy it all the same.


Directed by: Bill Condon
Written By: Melissa Rosenberg
Starring: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner
Music by: Carter Burwell
Cinematography by: Guillermo Navaro

Yes, I watched the new Twilight film.  And yes, I also have not seen such films as The Descendants or Hugo.  There was a specific reason I went of which I will not mention, though I assume one can gather what that was.  Anyway, I’ll say enough of my excuses as to why I saw the film and get into the film itself.  I have seen all of the Twilight films so far, which is more than most dissidents of the series can say.  Usually, I cannot stand whenever someone disowns and insults anything without having experienced it, both because they are judging without cause and because I suffered and they didn’t.  I say "usually" because here what the majority of the protesters have to say is right.  The new film, no shock  to say, is no better.  The dialogue seems as though it is lifted from a trashed script at a daytime soap opera and the acting isn’t too far off.  Bill Condon (Dreamgirls, Kinsey) directs to mild mediocrity. 


The film does elevate at certain points, however, including the build up to the final fight scene.  Though just as I finally began to, dare I say, become involved in the story, the fight scene becomes ridiculous.  It takes place all in one small area directly in front of the house, and ends faster than it begins.  It is disappointing indeed, to know that something almost to the level of good can be done here, especially this film with its more adult elements and high emotionality.  The film is not terrible though, even if at times it straddles the fine line. 

What is most distressing about the series is how flagrant they are towards the quality.  These films have potential to become something closer to Harry Potter rather than the cheap romantic drama genre that they inhabit.  If the script was stronger, the acting either coached or directed better (or just cast good actors in the role), and the scope of the film was extended beyond close ups of Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart staring at each other, this film would be at least interesting.

Not much more needs to be said of this film that hasn’t been said already in the earlier installments of the series.  Thankfully, only one more film is left to go.  Maybe then the series and the debate will be put to rest, because at this point I’m not sure which is more annoying.

D+

by Phillip Bryant

No comments:

Post a Comment