"Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" Review



Directed by: Guy Ritchie
Written by: Kieran Mulroney, Michele Mulroney
Starring: Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law, Noomi Rapace, Jared Harris
Music by: Hans Zimmer
Cinematography by: Phillippe Rousselot

I remember going to the theater in late December in 2009.  Avatar, the blockbuster to end all blockbusters was still busting blocks in theaters across the world.  Just days after I had seen James Cameron’s sci-fi feat, which I don’t like at all really, I went to see Guy Ritchie’s new version of Sherlock Holmes.  I had marginally liked Ritchie’s other films, my favorite being RockNRolla, and I have always loved the character of Sherlock Holmes (my favorite novel very well may be The Hound of the Baskervilles).  In short, I loved it and had an exceedingly more fun experience watching this than the planet of Pandora.  I always thought the film got too little love for being head and shoulders better than most other popcorn flicks.  Now the sequel, A Game of Shadows, is out, and although it is not as good as the first, it does not disappoint.


Many of the critical responses to the first film have been repeated for this film.  It focuses too much on the action and comedy rather than the deduction detective work of Sherlock Holmes.  Although, yes, this is true, I don’t really have a problem with it.  Is it a faithful adaptation of all the things that Sir Conan Doyle injected in the story he originally wrote? No, of course not, it is a Hollywood version of the story.  Let’s hold on a minute though.  This is by no means a “standard Hollywood piece” like many people are saying.  Guy Ritchie is directing with Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law, a very good combination, each with their respective talent.  The film has a certain bit of kineticism that Ritchie injects into the film and allows Downey and Law to play around with.  The action element of the film is also exciting enough to where I feel it is justified.  The BBC Stephen Moffatt version of the show is often stated as “the way Holmes should be done.”  It is still an adaptation, and therefore changes some elements of the story.  Whether the show or this film is more radical is difficult to tell. 

The plot of this story is a bit loopy, and is jam full of plot devices and points which run into confusing territory.  But overall, I had fun with it.  I cannot understand why so many people loved MI4, yet disliked this film.  While, yes, MI4 is better, it is not by much.  I liked MI4, and I like this one.  The plot for MI4 we can tell in 15 minutes, and the same can be said for this film.  It is the meat in the middle that counts, Mi4’s meat being action set pieces, this film’s being witty banter.

Overall, the film is a fun experience.  If you enjoyed the first, I cannot see why you wouldn’t enjoy this one.  If the first Holmes story didn’t really meet your expectations, this won’t either.  The real highlight of the film is Jared Harris as Professor Moriarty.  Whenever I first saw him in the role, he fit all of the perceptions I had when I read the character.  Any good Holmes film needs a good villain, and he is one of the best.

Grade: C+

by Phillip Bryant

No comments:

Post a Comment