Over/Under: The Picks of 2011

In Over/Under, the Blog writers will discuss two similar pieces of film, music, book, or other culture and which of these is overrated by the popular consensus and underrated by most people.  Feel free to comment below with your own views!


Overrated: Fast Five


Normally for a pick such as this, I encompass some sort of overrated film that was awards worthy (like Enter the Void in 2010 or Avatar in 2009).  As a note, I had originally planned on writing about Captain America, bit I discovered another.  This year I have seen something that truly baffles me, however, and has pushed me to pick this fifth, yes fifth, sequel in the Fast and Furious series.  Many critics, including Time’s Richard Corliss, have listed this among their top ten films of the year.  Others have said that it is the best or among the best action films of the year.  What?  Ok, if you want to tell me it is cheesy and therefore lots of fun, well then ok, that’s fine.  Saying it is one of the best films of the year? That is an insult.  Justin Lin’s exploitative mockery of action films has everything wrong with it that critics claim Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows or Cowboys & Aliens have, yet they were both panned.  The film is an adrenaline fueled action ride yes . . . but for what?  There is not one performance that is salvageable.  See Robert Downey Jr or Jared Harris in A Game of Shadows and Daniel Craig or Sam Rockwell in Cowboys & Aliens for example.  Paul Walker, Vin Diesel, and . . . Tyrese, all say the worst lines I have heard in a film all year.  Every character is archetypal clichéd messes, especially Dwayne Johnston’s bicep bulging government agent.  This film was laughable at times, the action setpieces in the film fun, but as standard as any other action film, and not crafted nearly as well as something in Mission Impossible 4.  At least remnants of intelligence are to be found there. Here, in Fast five, there is only masculine-induced idiocy.

Underrated: Fright Night

Dare I say this was my favorite Summer movie of the season?  Sure, I loved Super 8 and reminisced with Deathly Hallows Part 2, but I didn’t have more fun at any other movie this year than Craig Gillespsie’s remake.  This is also what pains me about choosing this film: it is a remake (and an 80s remake to be at that).  But here we are and, sure enough, I a lot of fun watching this film.  I attribute this not so much to the writing or directing, although they were well done, but to the performances.  I have always like Anton Yelchin, and I think he proved here he could lead a movie.  He went on later this year to earn good reviews in Like Crazy.  The real highlights here though are David Tennant bringing his hilarious charm to a minor expository character and Colin Farrell playing the best Vampire villain since probably Gary Oldman in Dracula.  The film is a piece of pure B-movie fun, but that didn’t everyone from loving Fast Five, and this film has more talent than any part of that film (save for the biceps aforementioned).   The climax is also just plain awesome, thought I won’t spoil it if you haven’t seen it.  To me, Fright Night is the best B-movie of the year, and it isn’t bad at all.  Although it does have its problems, notably the reveal of the connection between Farrell and Tennant shoehorned in, Fright Night is still a fun experience.

by Phillip Bryant

No comments:

Post a Comment