KFC: The 30 Day Batman Challenge-Day 3


Sorry, I was a little busy today and got behind on posting this. But never fear, Kyle is hear. Today's question: Favorite Actor in a Batman film?

There are two ways to interpret this question. One, favorite performance in a Batman film. Or two, favorite actor who happens to appear in a Batman film. I decided to go with the former. But if I were to go with the latter, it would be between Jack Nicholson and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Don't get me wrong, Arnold isn't a very good actor, but I just love his presence and the films he's in (except Batman and Robin, of course).

This wasn't very difficult to arrive at for me. Jack Nicholson's Joker is one of my favorite performances of all time. Sure, anyone will tell you that Heath Ledger's performance was a great performance filled with many nuisances, was emotionally complex, elevated the genre...blah, blah, blah. Frankly, I'm sick of hearing it.

Sure, it is Oscar worthy and is probably the best performance in a superhero movie. Whatever, I get it. People naturally assume that in comparison to Ledger, Nicholson is a free wheeling, merry and non-violent version of the character. I urge anyone who believes this silliness to go back and watch Burton's 1989 film. He roasts a guy, shoots his boss dead, burns his girlfriend's face, poisons Gotham's chemicals, shoots his right hand man, etc. and so forth. Sure, he might be a bit funnier and laugh more than Ledger does, there's never a doubt that he's a sick son of a bitch.

Upon Nicholson taking the role, the 1989 movie suddenly made the project much more interesting. He gave us a committed performance that even saw his name top billed over Michael Keaton, who played the title role. This showed just how serious and bankable Nicholson was taken at the time and what he added to the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment